Mobile live streaming is amazing because anyone can go live, but that also means there’s lots of bad live video because anyone can go live. I don’t believe in using gear as an excuse to not go live, but it does help increase the quality of your live feed and makes for a better experience for your viewers.
Whether its Facebook Live, Periscope, YouTube Live, Musical.ly, YouNow, Busker or another phone based live streaming app the 4 main areas you must focus on when it comes to gear are: Audio, Power, Lenses and Tripods/Mounts.
As part of my #BeYourself course, I’m breaking down everything around live video and I decided to broadcast this module about live video gear on Facebook Live & Periscope.
Below you can watch the entire 40 min Facebook live video recording that includes some tips and tricks on what you need for live video and the live Q & A with the live audience at the end. I also cut the video up into two parts if you want to get right to the gear. All the links are my affiliate Amazon links to the exact gear that I showed on the video.Remember don't let not having all the gear stop you from PRESSING THE DAMN BUTTON!Click To Tweet
Full Stream of #BeYourselfCourse Lesson on Live Streaming Gear
Part 1: Audio Gear
Desktop Podcast Mics:
Part 2: Power, Lenses and Tripod Mounts
Different lenses can make your video more eye catching. I like to have a variety to choose from so that I can get a good shot no matter where I am.
Getting a steady shot can make your live stream much more professional, so either a tripod or a mount will be worth the investment.
- Arkon Mounts:
Standing Desk by Autonomous AI:
Bonus: DotLive Domain go to http://getadot.live
- My dot live domains mentioned:
- Gear Page: ThinkLikeAFan.Live
- Online #BeYourself Course: BeYourself.Live
My Home Office Video Studio Setup:
What does the future of work look like as we merge design thinking and open collaboration led by the digitally empowered misfits? I don’t know either but I’m working on mapping out the ideology as you can see here in my time lapse brainstorming! @autonomousdotai standing desk (see website for link) #Timelapse #Brainstorming #MillennialMindset #solopreneur #entrepreneur #iPhone7plus #Storytelling #digitaltransformation #Futueofwork #collaboration
Programmable Motorized Stand-Up Desk
MUST HAVE IN YOUR HOME OFFICE
This desk is my favorite piece of equipment in my home office as its programmable, sturdy, large enough for two monitors and looks great!
More Gear Below
- Basic Green/white/black screen with Lighting Tripods:
- Diva Ring Light Tripod
- White Board Sticky Paper – I’m addicted to using this
- Pro HD Webcam
- Pro Level Microphone for live video recording in my home studio
- Live Streaming Software for Facebook Live & Periscope Not Using Phone
- Wirecast – Pro level, Pricey, Tons of Features but I use it for all live streaming I do from home.
- Switcher Studio – iPad Pro managed, easy to use with subscription based pricing – what I use when multicasting on the road.
- OBS – Open source, many of the wirecast features but more steps and bugs to deal with
My travel Kit as a speaker and geek:
- Gear backpack I use as my carry on but it’s too big for an event backpack
- Travel case (I go thru these pretty quick thankfully under 30 bucks)
- BUBM Double Layer Travel Gear Organizer / Electronics Accessories Bag (Medium, Dark Blue) – just ordered this based on multiple reviews from friends
- Logitech Wireless Presenter R800 with Laser Pointer Green
- HDMI Adapter
- AmazonBasics Mini DisplayPort (Thunderbolt) to HDMI Adapter(Macbook to HDMI projector)
- Long Ethernet Cord
- 12 Feet / 3.5 Meter – Snagless UTP CAT 6 LAN Network Cord for Internet Connections – Black, Blue, Ethernet Cable, RJ45 Connectors(Unique color so others won’t steal it and long enough)
- Short apple charging cable
- Anker PowerLine 1ft Apple MFi Certified Short Lightning to USB Cable (Stand with limited space still charge iPhone or if battery pack in pocket your cable doesn’t look like a millennial chain wallet.
- 3 in 1 Apple Display port dongle
- International Travel Charger with surge protected USB ports
- Swivel power surge protector USB
- HDMI Adapter
- Portable Speaker
- Anker SoundCore Bluetooth Speaker with 24-Hour Playtime, 66-Foot Bluetooth Range & Built-in Mic – back up for those with audio in presentation
- Thumb drive (Windows/Mac compatible)
- Batteries: AAA, AA and for some reason 12V
- Portable Phone Battery
Software Speakers Must Have
- Powerpoint & Keynote on Mac
- Duet Display software
- Turn iPad into 2nd display – used twice as my own confidence monitor https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/duet-display/id935754064?mt=8
- My spelling sucks it saves me when I have to edit something without time for others to view)
- Caffeine for Mac
- 1 click button in menu bar to stop your laptop from going to sleep and can be setup with a schedule https://caffeine.en.softonic.com/mac
- Memory Clean
Hit this while keynote is loaded to scrub any programs running in the background that might use memory resources: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/memory-clean-2-monitor-and-free-up-memory/id1114591412?mt=12